• Local and international royalty disbursement
• Free education on copyright issues
• Legal advice including contract signing
• Assistance on passport and visa processing should there be a need
• The association communicates with other international societies on copyright matters on your behalf
• Funeral assistance to the deceased member. A member who have attained Full membership shall benefit from the scheme.
Other benefits include:
There are occasions where disputes arise and, ZIMURA plays an important role in assisting members with resolving these. The most common disputes relate to proprietorship of a song, split of shares, infringement of copyright and assessing beneficiaries/ and heirs to the Estates (music copyright) of deceased members. It is important to remember that in assisting with dispute resolution, ZIMURA remains impartial while at the same time encouraging open but amicable negotiations. Dispute discussions are facilitated by the officials in Membership, Documentation and Distribution Department and whenever necessary, ZIMURA’s senior executives may also take a role in the process.
The following steps form the broad outline of the process followed in resolving the disputes:
• Suspension of payment of royalties accruing to the work(s) under dispute
• Separate meetings with individuals involved in the dispute to gather “factual” information regarding the case.
• Joint meeting(s) with all the affected parties until a resolution is reached.
• If a resolution is not reached, one is free to approach a Lawyer of own choice and file proceedings in an appropriate Court.