Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_top position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_bottom position below the menu.

Sample Sidebar Module

This is a sample module published to the sidebar_bottom position, using the -sidebar module class suffix. There is also a sidebar_top position below the search.

Search Our Site

Licensing Department

The license is called a Music Copyright License. It gives anyone the right to use or play music publicly.

Broadcasters pay differently. Some pay a percentage of spot advertising revenue. Others a fixed amount per play.

ZBC license permits you to receive certain broadcast signals. It is not concerned with copyright material or public performance rights on music.
The Copyright music license is a separate legal requirement to your ZBC license. A music license is required regardless of any other type of license you may own.

The venue should have a Music Copyright License and it covers the resident DJ. Mobile DJ’s require a separate license.

The cost depends on three basic elements:-

  • The type of premise
  • The size of the premise in square metres
  • The nature and extent to which music is used

The license fees paid are the royalties used to pay artists less administration costs.

You can visit our offices close to you which are in various provinces or call the following licensing hotline number. 086 4411 9650.
Alternatively you can use our ZIMURA Ecocash Merchant number 65083. Or the following banking details:-

BRANCH A/C: NO 053066-080

BRANCH A/C: NO 1000111933

Please communicate with the inspector or office immediately after the payment has been made.

The tariffs are designed by ZIMURA in comparison with regional and international tariffs of its sister organizations. Tariffs are, however, approved by the Zimbabwe Intellectual Property Office which is under the Ministry of Justice.

Yes ZIMURA has regional offices where license inspectors collect money from all public music users.

ZIMURA signed treaties with sister organizations the world over so ZIMURA remits royalties for international countries and they do likewise for the use of our local music content in their respective countries. Non-ZIMURA members collect their royalties less 10% for administrative costs.

ZIMURA recommends that artists should approach its offices for guidance as ZIMURA has the necessary rates and expertise to handle such arrangements.

If the song is used to advertise a certain product or service on radio, tv, in store etc you need to contact our hotline number 086 4407 9938 or visit our offices for assistance.

We contact organizations or individuals who do not have licenses from ZIMURA by telephone or emails, we also have Inspectors who move around inspecting premises without licenses.

ZIMURA takes all reasonable steps to ensure those playing copyright music in public are made aware of the need for a license.
We have License Inspectors around Zimbabwe who visit public premises and renew their licenses. We take advantage of our visit to educate potential clients about their legal obligation to have a Music Copyright License.
Failure to obtain a license for the use of music in public may result in civil action against you for copyright infringement, and you may be liable to pay damages and costs. The Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act Chapter 26:05 provides that a license from ZIMURA be obtained to play music in public.

Public performance includes music performed by playing TV and radio channels, including copyright music heard as part of advertisements, theme songs and channel ‘ident’ music. Sport and news channels normally include some music use.

ZIMURA has been licensing music use its formation in 1982.

Zimbabwe Intellectual Property Office (ZIPO), ZRP License Inspectorate will be able to advise you on the requirements for a music license.
If you require further information about your licensing requirements and copyright law, you could visit our website

We advise any business using music in the workplace in any way to contact ZIMURA to discuss their requirements for a license. ZIMURA will help you ensure that you have the right license in place to lawfully perform and authorize the performance of our music in your premise.

If music is audible to your clients, visitors and friends at your place of work, you need a license.

We advise any business using music in the workplace to get a license. If you make music available to colleagues or clients visiting your home where you have an office, a license fee may be required.

The ownership of equipment does not affect the requirement for a music license. If music is performed in public, a music license is required. The premise owner or business owner may be legally liable for any unlicensed public performances of copyright music that take place on the premise as provided in our Copyright Law.

We advise any businesses using music in the workplace in any way to contact ZIMURA to discuss their requirement for a license.
Any audible music to the employee, visitor, clients or friends has to be licensed by ZIMURA.

Studies have shown that music can provide many benefits when used effectively in business. For a example, in the workplace music can increase staff productivity and boost employee morale. It reduces stress, its therapeutic, it creates a pleased working environment.

As with any license requirement, it is the responsibility of the music user to understand and meet their legal obligations.
If you use music at your premise, it is your responsibility to ensure that the correct licenses are in place so that you and / or any person working on your premise can play copyright music lawfully.

A music user, such as the proprietor of a business, requires a music copyright license covering the duration of copyright music use in their premises. Music users can choose to stop using copyright music on their premises and will not require a copyright license once performances have ceased. However, they may be required to pay a license fee to cover any copyright music to that date.

Copyright protects original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works (and other intellectual property). It allows an original work to be considered a property that is owned by the creator. The Zimbabwean Copyright law is called the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act Chapter 26:05.

In music, copyright begins automatically once a piece of music is created, and documented or recorded (e.g on video, tape or CD or simply writing down the notation of a score.)

If you own the copyright you exclusively have the following major rights:

• A right to copy the music
• A right to issue, lend or rent copies to the public
• A right to perform, show or play the music in public
• A right to communicate the music to the public (i.e. broadcasting it via TV, radio, Internet etc.)
• A right to translate the work into another language.

In Zimbabwe, music copyright generally lasts for a period of 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author dies.

ZIMURA staff always carry their ID’s and you can call and check any details through our Client Services Department on: 086 4411 9650 / 086 4407 9938.

Get Directions